Caravan, motorhome or campervan? There are so many options for a road trip or camping trip! If you’re wondering about all the details and advantages of each model, in this post we help you choose the best travel companion for the road trip you’ve always dreamed of.
These vehicles are so popular that the term caravan is used for all of them… But they are not the same! Do you want to test what you know about each of them? Here we go!
Caravan or motorhome
Let’s start with the basics. The main difference between a caravan and a motorhome is that a caravan needs to be towed by a car, whereas a motorhome, as the name reveals, is a complete, self-contained vehicle that we can drive ourselves.
The caravan, as a trailer, is characterised by having furniture and everything necessary to live in it.
Advantages of the caravan?
- It is more economically priced.
- When you travel, it allows you to move freely by car and the caravan is left parked at a campsite.
- There is a wide range on offer.
And its disadvantages?
- You need a car to tow it.
- A campsite is essential to park it.
- It takes a little longer to set up than a motorhome or camper van.
- As it is a trailer (usually large), it is a bit more complex to drive.
The motorhome phenomenon was born in the 1960s. The idea, so simple, was genius: a unique space that allowed you to travel and sleep at the same time. This type of vehicle is the king of road trips.
Of course, the motorhome has great advantages:
- It has an engine, making it more independent than a caravan.
- Motorhomes are usually designed and sold fully equipped.
- They can be parked wherever you want (it is not compulsory to spend the night at a campsite).
- Driving is more comfortable.
- The motorhome allows you to take another trailer, so you can carry even more luggage than with the caravan.
The disadvantage is undoubtedly its higher price.
Caravan o camper
A middle ground between motorhome and caravan? A camper.
We love a camper van: because of its price, because you can travel freely as it has a very comfortable size to move around in, you drive and you have access in the back of the van to all your belongings…
These are vans in the shape of a caravan, but with reduced space. They usually include all the essentials for a holiday with a group of friends or family: bathroom, kitchen, shower and one or two double beds.
In addition to their incredible mobility, they also save on fuel. As they are moderately sized vehicles, we will be able to travel and extend our journeys as fuel will not be a big problem.
Advantages of a camper van:
- Economical price.
- Easy to drive.
- A camper is the ideal size to get into any city street or town you visit.
So what are the disadvantages?
- Space is much more limited than in the other options.
- Amenities such as the kitchen and bathroom are much more complicated than in the other options.
The motorhome phenomenon: Buy or rent?
The freedom of being able to go on a trip at any time with everything you need, accompanied by family or friends, without reservations, without high prices, without worries… this is what attracts us so much to the motorcaravanning phenomenon.
Our rolling home in which to get rid of routine… It’s a growing trend. In fact, registrations of this type of vehicle have been growing steadily in recent years.
So, it is common to ask the question: Which is better: to buy or to rent?
It depends on how much road travel we do per year!
Retirees, foreigners, and the surfing community tend to amortise their housing on wheels very well. They spend enough months of the year travelling to make the investment in this type of vehicle very profitable. If your idea is just to travel for a few weeks of holidays, or to get away for four weekends a year, it is advisable to rent your motorhome, camper or caravan so that you don’t have to worry about anything!
The next decision is to choose your favourite campsite. Do you want to live a stone’s throw from the Mediterranean? In Benidorm, we are waiting for you at Camping Villamar.
With the number of services and amenities we offer here, you will feel that this wonderful environment is your new home. We have mobile homes and pitches for your caravan or motorhome, so you can enjoy the camping experience just the way you want it.
Enjoy the outdoor swimming pool, heated pool, gardens, sports areas, and save in our supermarket, laundry, restaurant, cafeteria… and the Levante beach just eight minutes away by car!
Our aim is that your stay with us is as complete as possible and that you enjoy Benidorm to the full.
Check dates and availability at Camping Villamar and book your days with us!